Greenwashing; Profits in the Name of ConservationPosted by Admin on Apr 22, 2011 in Green Living, Uncategorized | 0 comments
False Advertising Penetrates Environmentalism with Ease
The environment and consumers today face many battles. Some newer than others. Greenwashing is a more recent threat with far more negative impact than one might guess.
Being ‘green’ or environmentally minded has become a selling point for many larger companies looking to make obscene profits in today’s competitive markets. Making products and services appear more environmentally appealing than they are in the name of sales is defined as greenwashing.
Just because a product or business says it is green doesn’t make it so. Many eco-imitators have been cropping up left, right and center, but how do you filter the real claims from the false one’s?
Here are a few easy tips to watch out for greenwashers.
- Read labels carefully. This isn’t a fail safe, but more often than not legitimate ecological features will be listed on the container.
- Recycled materials adds credibility. This is by no means a fail-safe but it doesn’t hurt.
- Misleading nature graphics. The label may look clean but is the product inside the same?
- Ambiguous phrasing. One popular tactic is to use misleading words. While not a direct lie, misleading words can create a mental image that is far from reality. Watch for phrases like ‘#1′ and ‘best’. Quite possibly what they are best at is polluting.
- Ingredients. Check the ingredients list. By law all components of a substance have to be listed on the container. Ultimately, if there is something undesirable inside, the outside label doesn’t lie.
Keep your eyes peeled, your ears open and stay diligent. Even when you are trying to think ‘green’ and use environmental products you may not be getting what you paid for.
When EcoInhabit says we are ‘green’ we mean it. With the growing popularity of the ecology movement businesses have taken note of the market trends and demands from the public. We, as consumers, want eco-friendly solutions for our everyday problems and EcoInhabit provides them.
All of our products go through strict screening. We make a point of researching the business practises of our product providers taking only legitimate items with real ‘green’ in mind.
We go the extra mile to make sure we are delivering the most current and environmentally friendly products. Ecology is our passion and our business.